« back to search results
about the 16th June 1948, the Government of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics imposed an illegal land blockade on the city of Berlin, Germany. The only method of supplying the Western Sector of Berlin was by air. On 8 July 1948, the Engineer Branch initiated the construction of additional facilities at Tempelhof Airbase. Soon after completion it was evident that additional facilities were imperative. The Engineer Branch was ordered on 4 August to construct an entire airfield with supporting facilities to be located at Tegel in the French Sector of Berlin<br />
<br />
PHOTO : Office of History, HQ, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
HISTORY
about the 16th June 1948, the Government of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics imposed an illegal land blockade on the city of Berlin, Germany. The only method of supplying the Western Sector of Berlin was by air. On 8 July 1948, the Engineer Branch initiated the construction of additional facilities at Tempelhof Airbase. Soon after completion it was evident that additional facilities were imperative. The Engineer Branch was ordered on 4 August to construct an entire airfield with supporting facilities to be located at Tegel in the French Sector of Berlin

PHOTO : Office of History, HQ, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

Filename: FILE_48-49_BERLIN_p15141coll5_62_full.jpg
Source: Via Agence Quebec Presse
Date: 8 Jul 1948
Location: Berlin Germany
Credit: Office of History, HQ, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Copyright:
Model Release: No
Property Release: No
Restrictions: Editorial Only,
Direct Link:
View This Image's Galleries: 1948 WAR - BERLIN - Blocus
Keywords: